Total Pageviews

Monday 20 December 2010

Trying to run on Planet Hoth

I'm fully fixed now after the last episode. I'm two weeks in from my hospital release, and one week into my return to running. In the end, I took 13 days off, which aint good, but aint that bad either.

My first run was a fairly gentle 4 miler, the problem being that I felt so fresh and good that within a mile i was up to 7 - 7 1/2 min miling. I tried to slow myself down but I suppose it was the feeling of being out there again that just made me go and go. Running along the prom in the cold with no one else around certainly beat being couped up inside and I enjoyed it.

I can't say I really felt too bad the next morning either. I was expecting to have some pain in the calves and thighs as is usually the case after a lay-off but to my surprise, all was ok. I ran on my usual 4 mile route and had a sneaky look at my time at the end which was under 30 minutes. I remember half killing myself on this course just to get 30 minutes back in the days before I joined Aber AC so I'm pleased about that.

Next day was the AC Christmas Handicap 5k time trial. The afore-mentioned legs were holding up after the previous nights exertions and there was a good turnout from club members as we amassed at the 'totem pole'.

The various groups took off at their handicap time slots and I set off with Phoebe, Jos and Steve King. That was about the last I saw of any of them! Phoebe and Steve decided to go for an easy one and did a recovery jog whereas Jos did the polar opposite and took off. Imagine a drag race where the one car stalls on the start line... thats how i felt as Jos disappeared into the distance. Nevermind, I got into my own pace (something I've been forcing myself to do as it generally seems to end up in a faster result), and chugged on.

The course is familiar to all and its a nice flat 5k that can produce some fast times. Richard zoomed past on his way to what was probably a fast 18 or even a 17 but that was not enough to catch some of the early starters who held off the scratch runners.

Onto the prom and I had caught a few people, and may have even caught site of Jos somewhere by the Old College, but it was probably someone else, a high vis vest is pretty hard to distinguish from another!

On the line I came in with 19.12, my second fastest time ever on that course and one of my fastest 5k's, so all cannot be too bad!

I got out again on the Thursday (with much heavier legs this time) but siince then its all been about coping with the snow we had dumped on us here in Aberystwyth on Thursday night. Everyone is in the same boat, and some local runners have managed to get out over the weekend. Bridget even did 10 miles on Saturday according to her Facebook updates so well done to those who managed it. I feel uber guilty as I didnt venture out due to the icy conditions.

I'm gonna have to try tonight and will probably head down to the prom and knock out a few miles...see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment